| Bethany Church |
320 Main St.
Ph: (785) 227-2167
The first church building was erected in 1869 about two miles northwest of Lindsborg, south of Coronado Heights. A monument marks this location today. It was built of sod and stone, with a grass roof. In 1874 the congregation voted to build a church in the town site of Lindsborg. The central part of the present edifice was erected using Native Dakota sandstone. The stone was covered with a concrete mix giving it a smooth, white finish.
"Bethany Lutheran Church....is a fellowship of believers united to worship the triune God and be nurtured in Word and Sacrament. Thus empowered by the Holy Spirit, we are sent to share the Good News of salvation and to serve those in physical or spiritual need."--from BLC mission statement
| Blacksmith Coffeeshop & Roastery |
Blacksmith Coffee Roastery, aritsan-forged coffee
112 N. Main St.
Hours: M 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m./Thursday 10:00 a.m.-1:00 a.m./Friday 10:00 a.m.-6:00/Saturday 12:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
Every Fourth of July, one of the original owners, Janne Johnson of the old Holmberg – Johnson Blacksmith and Wagon Shop, would carry two large anvils outside the shop and at 4:30 a.m. place a heavy charge of blasting powder around one anvil, place the other anvil on top, and set the blast off with a long fuse. The explosion could be heard all over town and was the signal to start the July 4th celebration. Today, the shop is the Blacksmith Coffee Roastery dealing a different sort of charge—artisan forged coffee. Specializing in premium, single origin, arabica bean coffees, this micro-roastery on Main Street offers tours, coffee-tastings, and classes in brewing a fabulous cup of coffee.
| Smoky Valley Roller Mills |
120 Mill St.
Ph: (785) 227-3595
Built in 1898, the roller mills was originally water powered by turbines turning horizontally in the river. In 1930 the roller mills was converted to electric power. Four to six people were needed to operate the mill which produced up to 1,470 pounds of flour per hour. The mill was in operation until 1955 and was restored to operating condition in 1981. The mill is powered up during Millfest, the first weekend in May each year. Finalist in 8 Wonders of Kansas History .
The Old Mill Museum preserves the early heritage of McPherson County. The museum collects, preserves, researches, exhibits and interprets materials related to this heritage with special emphasis on the period from 1870 to 1910.
| The Swedish Pavilion |
120 Mill St.
Ph: (785) 227-3595
Experience Swedish elegance at the 1904 Swedish Pavilion. Step into this beautiful Swedish structure and you’ll feel as if you are visiting the building at its original location, the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis. At the close of the World’s Fair, it was donated to Bethany College. Transported on flat cars to Kansas, it became a center for the arts at Bethany College. In 1969 it was moved to Heritage Park. In 1973 it was put on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Swedish Pavilion is one of seven historic buildings on display at the Lindsborg Old Mill and Swedish Heritage Museum.
| Presser Hall |
400 Block of N. First St.
Ph: (785) 227-3311
Presser Hall was built in 1929 and has been described as “one of the finest music buildings in America.” The stage can hold a chorus of 500 plus a full orchestra, and is host to performances of Handel’s Messiah and Bach’s St. Matthew Passion. Performers like Maynard Ferguson, Wynton Marsalis, The Little Nutcracker Ballet and The Real Group have graced the stage. The three-story front wing was added in 1930 with studios, classrooms and administrative offices.
| The Höglund Dugout |
Arriving in the fall of 1868, Gustaf Höglund proceeded to dig a dugout to serve as some protection. The dugout served as the family home until 1874. The Smoky Valley Historical Association maintains the Höglund Dugout, now a historical site marking an example of an early Scandinavian home. Directions: Starting at the base of Coronado Heights, travel south 2.1 miles on 12th Avenue. Look for an opening in the treeline on the east side of the road. The parking area is surrounded by an iron railing fence. Find the Dugout on foot by following the mowed path to the east.